At Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists of South Florida, our professionals are here to assist with providing a selection of services to improve the skin’s health, appearance, texture, and tone. One option many of our patients consider is the chemical peel.
What are chemical peels?
Chemical peels are a specialized treatment technique used to enhance the appearance and health of the skin on the face, neck, or hands. A chemical solution is administered onto the skin, which causes it to exfoliate and peel off. The new skin that replaces this exfoliated skin is smoother and more youthful than the old skin.
What are the different varieties of chemical peels?
There are three different types of chemical peels: light, medium, and deep. The type of peel that is appropriate for you depends on your goals for treatment, as well as the current condition of your skin.
- Light peels are often used to treat fine wrinkles, dryness, uneven skin tone, and mild acne. They typically use glycolic acid or lactic acid as the active ingredient.
- Medium peels are used to treat more moderate wrinkles, uneven skin tone, and mild acne scars. The active ingredients in medium peels are usually Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) or Jessner’s solution.
- Deep peels are the strongest variety of peel and are used to treat deeper wrinkles, sun damage, and moderate to severe acne scars. The active ingredient in deep peels is phenol. Deep peels are generally only performed once, as they can cause significant irritation and redness.
What products can I use before and after a chemical peel?
It’s crucial to use the right skincare products before and after a chemical peel. Not only will a carefully curated routine set the stage for a safe and effective exfoliation treatment, but it will also support your skin during the healing process.
Some of the more commonly recommended products available at Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists include:
- SkinMedica® Facial Cleanser: This gentle cleanser is soothing, calming, and moisturizing. Best of all, it doesn’t contain active ingredients like acids and retinol, which can be irritating when used pre- or post-peel.
- Q-SkinScience® Phyto-Active Moisture Barrier Repair: This product is modeled after the natural skin barrier. It contains a blend of lipids, ceramides, and other ingredients that support skin repair after a peel.
- Q-SkinScience® Q-Sunshade™ SPF 30+ Sunscreen: We advise against tanning and unprotected sun exposure as part of our chemical peel care instructions due to the risk of skin damage. Our patients love this sunscreen because it provides adequate sun protection — plus a healthy dose of antioxidants and vitamins.
Remember, skincare products work more effectively after chemical peels because there are fewer dead skin cells to get in the way of proper absorption. To get the most bang for your buck, consider using professional-grade products, which are often better formulated and contain higher-quality ingredients than most skincare products available at the drugstore. Our experienced aestheticians will gladly provide personalized skincare product recommendations during your visit.
Learn more about chemical peels and products to use before and after!
Call Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists of South Florida today at 954-961-1200 to request an appointment with our team of professionals. We are open to new patients and can consult with you regarding your skincare needs to help create a customized treatment plan that fits your goals and budget!