Am I a Good Candidate for Fat Transfer?
Everyone has areas of their body that have a little extra fat, especially as we age. Fat grafting (transfer) may be your solution to even out your body’s fat/appearance; as it takes extra fat where you don’t need it and moves it to areas lacking in volume.
What are the best target areas for fat transfer?
The following are areas that are commonly enhanced by fat transfers:
- Face (including cheeks, lips, or hollows under the eyes)
- Hips and buttocks
Who makes a good candidate for fat transfer?
Ideal candidates for fat transfer should be between the ages of 30 and 65 and in good general health with no circulation problems. You should also have realistic expectations about what the procedure can achieve.
It’s commonly used for patients who want to achieve one or more of the following goals:
- Correct depressions in the skin
- Modestly increase breast size
- Rejuvenate your face by smoothing laugh lines, smile lines, or crow’s feet
- Fill in a gaunt-looking face
- Achieve longer-lasting results than temporary fillers provide
- Reconstruct your breasts
- Hide signs of breast implants
- Rejuvenate your hands
What’s the procedure like?
The procedure is non-invasive and includes the following steps:
- Harvesting – Your surgeon will inject the site that fat is being removed from with anesthetic. A small incision is made, and a syringe is used to remove fat.
- Purification and transfer – The fat is purified and filtered before it’s transferred to small syringes.
- Placement – Your surgeon will then prepare the site that’s receiving the fat transfer. A needle is passed in and out of the area as your surgeon precisely deposits fat in a natural grid. It may have to be repeated several times to achieve the desired results.
What’s recovery like?
You may have temporary swelling and bruising in the areas where fat has been removed and grafted, and pain is usually minimal.
It may take a few months before your results look complete, and the areas that received fat should look softer and fuller. The results are permanent, but in some cases, touchup procedures may be needed to perfect the results.
To find out more about fat transfer, including whether you could be a good candidate, make an appointment today with Hollywood Dermatology & Cosmetic Specialists. We have multiple South Florida offices for your convenience and a dedicated staff that provides the latest, most revolutionary services to help you look your best.