Can makeup hide rosacea?
Conditions such as rosacea can cause patients to feel incredibly self-conscious about their appearance. The redness of the skin that comes with rosacea might be embarrassing. While there are several treatment options available for patients who have been diagnosed with this condition, there are times when redness still remains. With the help of the team at Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists of the South Florida area, patients can learn about coverage options for rosacea. Below, our providers can make recommendations for the use of makeup to reduce redness and make rosacea less noticeable.
- Keep the skin clean. Before applying cosmetics, it is important to cleanse and moisturize the face with the skin-care products recommended by the dermatologists.
- Use mineral makeup. Cosmetics such as mineral makeup are highly recommended for patients with rosacea. This is because they often have very few ingredients, which significantly reduces the risk of irritating the skin or allergic reactions that can make rosacea worse.
- Choose foundations and concealers with a green-tinted base. Foundations, concealers, and even primers can have a corrective aspect to them with a green-tinted base. The green can help in reducing the appearance of redness while evening out the skin tone. Consider using products that also offer UVA/UVB protection to further protect the skin from sun damage.
- Use oil-free products. Not only do oil products clog the pores, they can also aggravate rosacea.
- Use eye makeup used for sensitive skin. Rosacea can sometimes include ocular rosacea, which causes redness and irritation of the eyes. In situations such as this, it is even more important to choose eyeliners, eyeshadows, and mascara that are designed for sensitive eyes. This includes looking for products marked as fragrance-free, allergy-tested, or ophthalmologist tested.
Discuss your needs with the team at Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists
Finding a solution for rosacea, as well as ways to disguise it when experiencing flareups, can dramatically change a patient’s self-esteem and confidence. At Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists, we are excited to offer a few options for patients to consider when it comes to choosing cosmetics for coverage. Call our main line at (954) 961-1200 to request a consultation visit with one of our doctors at our seven convenient locations throughout South Florida. We are committed to helping new and current patients with their dermatological needs in our state-of-the-art facilities.