The most common skin problems seen in summer
The summer months are a common time for patients in the area of South Florida to experience skin problems. While many conditions and irritations cannot be avoided, some can be. If you are considering a way to keep your skin healthy and prevent unwanted skin concerns, now is the time to connect with the doctors of Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists to speak to a professional about prevention recommendations from our trained and experienced team of providers.
Prevention of common skin issues
Below are a few of the more typical skin problems seen during the summer months at Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists:
- Acne – when sweating, pores can become clogged and mixed with bacteria and oils to cause an increase in breakouts during the summer months. Daily cleansing and proper skincare products can keep this issue under control.
- Dry skin – chlorine in the swimming pool water and hot days can cause patients to experience increased dryness in the skin. With the use of a heavy moisturizer, many patients can control the hydration levels of the skin every day.
- Poison ivy rashes – while camping and hiking are excellent summertime activities, they can also leave patients exposed to poison ivy, poison oak, or sumac. Many of these plans can cause rashes, blisters, swelling, and itching that can last for hours, even days. Pay close attention to your surroundings when in highly wooded areas and have corticosteroids, antihistamines, and calamine lotion on hand to treat these rashes when they appear.
- Heat rash – heat rash causes red bumps on the skin caused by blocked sweat glands, but can easily be resolved by cooling down and cleansing the skin as soon as possible.
- Sunburn – without proper skin protection, patients are exposing themselves to the risk fo sunburn—and skin cancer. During outdoor activities, repeatedly apply sunscreen with an SPF no less than 30 on all exposed areas. Seek shade and avoid times of the day when the sunlight is the strongest, typically between 10am and 4pm.
Discuss your skin’s health and prevent summer problems before they start!
At Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists of South Florida, our doctors believe that prevention can help in reducing the risk of the above common skin concerns seen during the summer months. Take great care in protecting your skin by working with our team to develop a seasonal skin care regimen that fits your needs. Call our facility at (954) 961-1200 to request an appointment at any one of our seven office locations throughout the area of South Florida. We are always accepting new patients and families seeking skincare solutions!