At Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists, we understand how important it is to get a good dose of sunshine every day, especially while living in the sunny state of Florida. However, there are times when sun exposure can be harmful. Patients who do not protect their skin from the summer sun may be putting themselves at risk for UV damage, including sunburns and increased risks of skin cancer. Our professionals believe in educating patients on skin protection. Below are five of the top tips recommended by our dermatological team for protecting the skin against sunburn and long-term sun damage:
- Wear sunscreen each and every day. Know that regardless of how much time you spend outdoors or the current weather, you should apply sunscreen on the exposed areas of skin every morning. This sunblock should be SPF 30 or higher and should ensure optimum protection.
- Avoid time outdoors when the sun is the strongest. Between the hours of 10am and 4pm, the sun’s UV rays are the most intense. If you can, avoid long-term outdoor time during these hours to reduce sun exposure risks.
- Wear long shirts and pants. It is always best to cover up exposed skin whenever possible. There are clothes that are readily available that are long-sleeved and made with special materials that offer extra sun protection. Children should also wear swimsuits with tops and bottoms that protect the skin even if it has sleeves.
- Reapply sunscreen regularly. If you are spending extensive time outdoors, be sure to reapply sunblock every two hours. If you have been sweating or swimming, sunblock should be applied every hour onto dry skin for optimum protection.
- Choose the right sunscreen. Not all sunblock lotions are the same! Look for a broad spectrum sunscreen that will protect against both types of sun radiation, including UVA and UVB rays. Also, consider use of sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
Call Hollywood Dermatology and Cosmetic Specialists today
With seven office locations throughout the South Florida area, we can help patients learn about ways to care for their skin each and every day. Call (954) 961-1200 to request an appointment at one of our office locations. We gladly accept new patients seeking aesthetic and medical services from trained and experienced professionals.