When you deal with frequent or recurring acne breakouts, over-the-counter products might not be effective enough. Since acne is associated with clogged pores, can getting a facial help treat breakouts and lower the risk of having them? Find out more about facials and whether or not they’re a good treatment option when you have acne.
Different Types of Facials
There are several different types of facials that you can get to unclog pores and leave your skin looking and feeling healthier. Some of these include European facials, intensive oxygen facials, vitamin C facials and collagen facials. In general, facials involve having your skin cleansed and analyzed, exfoliated and unclogged through extractions.
- Cleansing involves removing debris, such as dirt or oil, from your skin, then having problem areas analyzed to determine the most suitable course of treatment.
- Exfoliating involves taking off your top layer of skin in order to get rid of dead skin cells that can clog your pores. You can have this process done with chemical exfoliants, such as acids, or mechanical exfoliants, such as sponges.
- Extracting pus and other substances that can clog your pores involves using an extractor tool to do so carefully. Removing these opens up your pores, but it needs to be done safely to avoid damaging them.
How Facials Help with Acne
Facials can help with acne breakouts, depending on the kind you have and how severe they are. In general, facials are suitable for mild breakouts rather than severe ones. You can have facials done to remove whiteheads and blackheads. The exfoliation process eliminates oil and other debris that is clogging your pores, while extractions get rid of blackheads and whiteheads. Keep in mind that this is more effective for acne that has not become inflammatory. When whiteheads and blackheads do become inflammatory, they’re known as pimples.
Warnings About Facials for Acne
If you are considering getting a facial for an acne problem, it’s important to keep the following concerns in mind:
- Facials are not recommended for severe, inflammatory acne. Exfoliation can lead to more severe inflammation, while extraction can result in acne scars.
- Extractions during facials can cause severe cosmetic problems if they’re done improperly. Some of these problems include scars, enlarged pores and an increase in inflammatory acne.
- One facial won’t keep acne away for good. You’ll most likely need to have facials done each month or any time you have a breakout, since your skin continually grows and changes.
Alternatives for Acne
If you choose not to have a facial done or if this is not a suitable option for your skin, there are other ways to treat acne. You might benefit from staying away from any skin care products that can clog your pores or using a prescription cream or gel. Other options include antibiotic pills or certain kinds of birth control pills. If you have scars from acne, there are treatments available for that as well. Your dermatologist can let you know which treatment options are most suitable for your acne problem based on the type of acne you have, how severe it is and other factors.
If you need treatment for acne scars or if you would like a facial, please contact Hollywood Dermatology to schedule an appointment. We offer facial treatments, as well as dermatology care to help minimize the appearance of acne scars.