Finding out that you have keloids or skin cancer, can be a difficult diagnosis for patients to deal with. Throughout our lives, we try our best to keep our skin healthy and beautiful as it is often one of the first things that the world sees from us.
Skin cancer is the abnormal growth of skin cells. Genetic factors, sun exposure, and lifestyle choices are some of the factors that put you at risk for skin cancer. Usually diagnosed after changes on the skin have been detected, skin cancer is easier to treat when diagnosed early.
Keloids can present as firm and rubbery lesions or appear as shiny nodules on the skin. Often times the areas may hurt or itch and removal options can often cause scarring. Keloids can be the result of:
- Scarring from surgery or chickenpox
After being diagnosed with keloids or skin cancer, treatment options usually extend to different ways to remove the affected tissue or in the case of keloids reduce the size. Treatment options for keloid scars include:
- Application of moisturizers and oils to soften the keloid
- Killing the tissue by freezing
- Prescription injections to help reduce the amount of inflammation
- Laser treatments to reduce the size
- Surgical removal
- Radiation therapies
Skin cancer treatment options include:
- Topical chemotherapy
- Cryosurgical procedures
- Surgical removal
- Electrodessication and curettage (scraping the area and burning to seal the wound)
- Radiation therapy
Radiation therapy is effective for treatment of both skin cancer and keloids. Removal and reduction of the affected areas through the use of radiation therapy products, such as the Sensus SRT-100, has been shown to have great results.
The Sensus SRT-100 is an FDA-approved machine used in the treatment of keloids and skin cancer. The machine works by providing a targeted, low dose of radiation that only penetrates the depth of the skin. The treatment is safe for those who may be high risk for surgical procedures, such as those suffering from diabetes or cardiac problems.
Advantages of Sensus Products
- Non-Invasive Procedures – One of the best advantages of the Sensus products is that they are a non-invasive form of treatment. No cutting or anesthetic is required.
- High Success Rate – The SRT-100 boasts up to a 95% cure rate on non-melanoma forms of cancer. After multiple treatments can remove or significantly reduce the appearance of keloids.
- No Scarring – Unlike many surgical or laser options, the radiation therapy used in conjunction with Sensus products leaves the patient with no scarring from treatment.
- No Pain – There is no pain with the radiation therapy as well as no pain during recovery.
- No Additional Downtime – The procedure is done in a doctor’s office and after completed requires no additional downtime. Once completed you will be able to go back to your daily activities immediately.
If you have been diagnosed with skin cancer or keloids and would like more information on how Sensus products can help you, contact Hollywood Dermatology today.