Everyone knows by now that the sun isn’t good for your skin, but this is especially true if you’ve had a filler treatment. In this blog, the board-certified dermatologists at Hollywood Dermatology & Cosmetic Specialists in South Florida explain how sun damage can affect your filler treatments.
What are filler treatments?
Filler treatments (which are also known as facial fillers or dermal fillers) are treatments that help diminish or prevent signs of aging like lines and wrinkles. They do this by filling problem areas with collagen, which diminishes their appearance and also helps to stimulate additional collagen growth. This helps your skin look more plump and youthful.
Filler treatments can also be used to plump thin lips and make recessed scars less noticeable. These fillers are administered via precise injections, and they include the following brand names:
Botox isn’t on the list because it works by paralyzing facial muscles rather than filling in wrinkles and other imperfections.
Will sun exposure affect filler treatments?
In addition to affecting untreated skin, sun exposure can have a negative effect on your skin after you’ve had facial fillers. It can do the following:
- Degrade hyaluronic acid, which is found in treatments like Juvederm
- Worsen your skin as it heals
- Reduce the intended effects of your fillers
How long should you avoid the sun getting fillers?
You should wait at least a week before getting out in the sun after treatment.
How can you best take care of your skin after your filler treatment?
Take the following steps to take care of your skin and receive full benefits from your fillers:
- Talk to your doctor for specific dos and don’ts in your particular situation.
- Cover your face if you have to go outside within a week after treatment.
- Use a sunscreen with a high SPF if you go outside, and reapply it frequently.
- If you have trouble reapplying sunscreen during the day, consider using a powdered sunscreen, which can be brushed on your face and chest.
- Use a topical antioxidant.
- You can use tanning sprays but wait until 1 day after your treatment.
- Don’t use tanning beds at all.
- Keep your treated skin covered if you’ll be in the sun for more than 20 minutes.
- See your doctor right away if you have any sun damage or other complications.
To find out more about the benefits of a filler treatment as well as how to best take care of your skin afterward, make an appointment today for a consultation with Hollywood Dermatology & Cosmetic Specialists. We have seven convenient office locations throughout South Florida, and our experienced medical team is dedicated to helping you look your best.